Tuesday, June 8, 2010

From "Beauty Parlor" to "Salon"

Beauty Reflection of the day-

As a child of the sixties, I've seen changes in almost every facet of our day to day lives; from the way we get our information to the way we "get beautiful". Mine was the first house on the block to have a color TV,a microwave oven and an HBO box. Telephones were rotary, and TV sets had dials. Computers filled a room and were seen mostly in science-fiction movies. The "Beauty Parlor" was a place ladies went, one day a week to get a manicure and have their hair done(wash and set). As a little girl, I would go with my mom on occasion. It was like a fantasy land for a girly little girl like me; all the smells of hair spray and nail polish, all the ladies gossiping and getting beautiful. I would imagine all the fancy and exciting places these now beautified ladies were off to. But I digress, the subject today is changes in these amazing establishments. That is what I saw as a child. My teen years saw unisex hairplaces in the malls. It was at this point in time that the gods invented Blow Dryers. The times, they were a-changin. No more wash and sets, which meant a faster service. Men were wearing their hair longer, blow drying, and were now getting haircuts in the same places as women. The Beauty Parlors were few and far between. The eighties brought a new sanctuary for women in the beauty industry-The Nail Salon. These new places were where ladies now went just to get their nails and toes done. Some also offered waxing or facials. In the nineties, more and more women were wearing acrylics, gels, silkwraps and fiberglass nails and the nail shops became very popular and lucrative. The late nineties and early twothousands saw the emergence of the Asian nail salons. The Asian community saw the opportunity for monopolizing an industry and they jumped on it. This is not a criticism, mind you , but an observation. Since then, we, as English speaking nail salons, have a responsibility and a duty to keep up with what was once and will always be a female rite-The Ritual of "The Beauty Parlor" AKA"The Salon",AKA"The Nail Salon"AKA"The Salon Spa".

Restaurant Review-
Burger Monger- a new concept for a burger place in Carrollwood. It's a place your order and pay at the counter type place. You get your own drink and condiments and take a number on a stand to your table. Your food is brought to you. The restaurant is clean, there are several TVs, and there are booths and tables. Now come the disappointing parts- the food and the price. I ordered my burger medium rare with mushrooms, cheddar cheese and barb-b-que sauce. In my mind, there's nothing better than a juicy, messy burger. I still don't understand how this sandwich came out dry, but it did. For $13.00 and serving myself, I was not thrilled. To be fair, Burger Monger was only open 2 days when I tried it, so I would consider going back in a couple of months when hopefully the kinks are all worked out. So far, my favorite places for burgers in Tampa are BJs in the Citrus Park Mall, In The Zone Pub on Gunn Hwy (next to The Nail Shop of Carrollwood), and Square One Burger in South Tampa.

For more info on nails or to contact me please visit http://www.tampanailchick.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment